- Manual underwriting: option to gain pre-DIP agreement.
- Income: multiple sources used for affordability, including pension, rental, investment. 5.5x income multiple when an applicant earns £100k+.
- Overpayments: 50% ERC free on all products.
- Property: we’ll consider annexes, flats above good quality commercial
- We credit check, not credit score.
Whether you are placing a case for a first time buyer or later life borrower, a self builder or a small-time landlord and more, we’re here and we’ve done it before.
Read about our lending areas below or head straight to our product finder to view our latest deals.
Our lending areas.
- Available on our standard range of products, up to a 40-year term with no maximum age.
- Interest only: sale and downsize up to 50% LTV (min equity £200,000). Other interest only options available, depending on your repayment vehicles.
- We’ll lend to 80% LTV for applicants borrowing into retirement, or 70% LTV if already in retirement (50% if there’s any interest only).
- We utilise pension assets as income, even if not currently being drawn – will use 80% of pension pot and divide by mortgage term.
Buy to let.
- BTL accepted up to 80% LTV.
- Can consider non-owner occupiers.
- We lend on regulated BTLs where family members are residing.
- No maximum age.
- First time buyer BTL accepted.
- We offer up to 60 days of personal use.
- Will consider first time landlords (must be owner occupiers).
- Loans available up to 80% LTV.
- We assess the loan amount using the average rental from high, mid and low season.
- First time rental properties considered (no requirement to be currently let out).
- No maximum age.
Self build & renovation.
- For new projects, conversions, renovations and knock down & rebuilds. Includes properties where the build has started.
- Max 80% LTV for both purchase and remortgage, plus we will lend against the land value.
- Flexible stage releases.
- Upon build completion your client can switch penalty free to a retention product.
- Interest only available during the build.
- Available directly to brokers – call us to discuss your case.
- For residential, buy to let and holiday let properties, with most countries of residence considered (except UN Sanctioned).
- For joint applications we can consider when only one applicant holds a British Passport (subject to British national meeting criteria and affordability requirements)
- Deposits built up in the country of residence accepted.
- BTL – most currencies accepted.
- Residential & regulated BTL– 11 currencies accepted.
- Up to 80% LTV with fixed completion fees (subject to availability).
- We can consider new build houses up to 95% LTV (subject to product availability), for flats up to 75% LTV in selected areas.
- We accept up to 5% builder’s incentive (minimum applicant contribution of 5%).
- Mortgage offers valid up to 6 months, 3-month extension available.
- Completion and CHAPs fees can be added at 90% LTV subject to affordability.
How to do business with us.
Ready to get started? We’re here to help.
From our blog
Base rate and our SVR
Boost for energy efficient self builders and renovators from Suffolk Building Society
Suffolk Building Society signs the Government’s New Mortgage Charter
Important changes to our lending criteria
Correction to Annual Mortgage Statements
Clients funding their later lifestyle? It’s simple with the Suffolk